i’ve been following photographer jamie beck for a few years now, and every time i come across one of her photos on instagram or one of her posts in my blog roll, i experience this overwhelming sense of wow, i wish i had that life. not even in a jealous way, really. more in a, i admire her drive and her talent and her passion so much kind of way. beck is the kind of woman i hope to be when i grow up (even though she’s only 2 years older than me). she is (or appears to be, at least) secure in who she is and confident in her life path. she’s the kind of woman who knows who she wants to be, what she wants from life, and isn’t afraid to go ‘head and get it.
her blog is a veritable feast for the eyes, and her latest post, about 30 things she’s learned over the past 30 years, is no different. it features beautifully shot black and white images of her 30th birthday, a glamorous affair that appears to have featured ball gowns (because why not?), and includes some really good tidbits of advice that i couldn’t help but share. beck says that she’s “independent in a way that i wasn’t in my 20s” and that she feels she’s “finally found her rhythm in life.” inspiring, right? i recently turned 28, and i feel that i’m just starting to find my rhythm. here’s hoping by the time i turn 30, i’ll be closer to finding my place, and more importantly, finding my peace.
below, a few of my favorites from jamie’s list, 30 things i’ve learned in the past 30 years:
2. Failures are not mistakes, only the lessons that give us stories.
3. GO WITH YOUR GUT. Always, always, always.
7. You may end up loving the things you once hated.
4. DON’T HAVE A BACKUP PLAN.
25. Don’t be in a hurry to graduate college, get a job, get married, have babies. Have the freedom to spend your 20s exploring yourself and the world around you.
26. “He who does not take risk, does not drink Champagne.” Risk = reward
27. Perfection is boring.
28. Like attracts like. Create the kind of work you want to keep creating. Work with the kinds of people you want to keep working with. Surround yourself with people you believe in.